Château du Haut-Koenigsbourg
The Haut-Koenigsbourg Castle has become an intrinsic part of the Alsatian countryside. This medieval castle has travelled through time. This strong fortress was reduced to ruins and became derelict, before being restored. It is now an intrinsic part of the historical heritage of Alsace.
A fortress with a tormented history
The castle of Haut-Koenigsbourg dates back to the Middle Ages, around the 12th century, when Frederick of Hohenstaufen had the Castle illegally built on land that did not belong to him. The fortress which was occupied by the Dukes of Lorraine, allowed the road of Alsace to be watched from the North all the way to the South. It later became a den for thieving horsemen, before burning in 1462. Over time, Haut-Koenigsbourg Castle will continually be modified by its successive owners, before being besieged by the Swedes and once again destroyed by fire during the Thirty Years War. In 1899, after being abandoned for many years, the ruins of the Castle are finally offered by the town of Sélestat, to the Kaiser, Guillaume II of Hohenzollern. The latter then undertakes the restoration of the fortress, to bring it back to its original state. Transferred back into French hands at the end of the First World War, the castle of Haut-Koenigsbourg has become a priceless testimony of Alsatian history.